Komoot offers a number of map layers exclusively in the web planner on the website for logged in users: the Open Street Map, the Open Cycle Map, and a Satellite Map. It would be great to offer these on mobile as well, especially the satellite layer.
Other than the standard komoot map, the only supported map layers in the komoot app are the sports-specific map layers for hiking, cycling, and mountainbiking, which are only available for Premium customers. The satellite map layer can be accessed only on the website.
This feature is completely in line with what we'd like to provide at komoot: a world-class route planning experience. Providing a satellite map is on our roadmap and we plan to release it in the near future.
Since you can use komoot freely on as many devices as you'd like, the easiest way to make the most out of this feature for now is to simply log into your account on the komoot website, plan your Tour there and save it. This way it would be automatically synced to your komoot app as well, so you can use it on your phone.
If you'd really prefer to plan on mobile:
- As a Premium customer, you can access sports-specific maps which highlight trails that are suitable for hiking, cycling and mountainbiking. These don't completely replace the use of a satellite layer but can help.
- You could also open the komoot website in a mobile browser and plan there. Please note that planning in a mobile browser can be a little difficult, depending on your screen size, but the feature is also accessible there.
Tip: You can keep up to date with all recent komoot releases by checking out this page.
Articles in this section
- Request: Additional sports types for planning (horse riding, skiing, kayaking)
- Request: Heatmap or view of personal Tours on a map
- Request: Display calories and heart rate in komoot
- Request: Tour Story on iOS
- Request: Rename waypoints
- Request: Save home address for planning
- Request: Folders to sort Tours
- Request: Sort and filter Collections in profile
- Request: Display maximum speed in completed Tours
- Request: Direct messaging